The age-old discussion: breast V bottle. If you ask me, there is only one right answer. That answer? Whatever method works for you and your baby is the only "right" way!
At team Binto, we certainly support breastfeeding. It's a wonderful way to feed your new baby and create a bonding experience. However, we're about a safe space and support women who can't or choose not to breastfeed. In this newsletter, we lay out the pros and cons for feeding breast v bottle/pumping.
- Bonding experience - breastfeeding releases chemicals in the body - Oxytocin, and Pitocin. Oxytocin the chemical to thank for that bonding and loving feel (released during feeds).
- Did someone say weight loss? Yes, breastfeeding burns a lot of calories and helps many women lose baby weight after delivery.
- The breast milk you make is perfectly tailored to your baby's needs. That means protein mix, calories, fat, etc.
CONS to breastfeeding:
- Lopsided breasts
- Feeling overwhelmed, timing, lack of partner support for feeding
- Ease of use. Your partner can help you with feeding regardless of it being pumped milk or formula - bottles are partner-friendly.
- No crazy lopsided breasts
- No Leaking when you bottle feed.
Cons to bottlefeeding:
- No hormonal bonding
- Formula is not created equal to breast milk, as breast milk is constantly changing to match your baby's needs
- No weight loss from feedings
As you can see, there are pros and cons to both types of infant feeding. Only you and your baby know what will work for the two of you. Stay true to your goals, your feelings, and don't let others shame you for the choice you make.