Anyone who has had a UTI knows how miserable it can be, and you’re not alone. The American Urological Association and NIH predict that every woman has a 50% chance of developing at least one UTI in her lifetime (1).
What is a UTI?
UTI stands for Urinary Tract Infection. This develops when bacteria gets into your urine and travels to your bladder. As the bacteria moves, it can cause a lot of issues in your body.
A woman is more likely to get a UTI than men because her urethra is shorter. So: The shorter the urethra = less time it takes for the bacteria to reach the bladder and other organs
UTIs are either simple or complicated. Complicated cases, including UTIs that cause a kidney infection, require a longer course of antibiotic treatment (2).
How to prevent a UTI:
- Drink plenty of fluids- hydration is key.
- Always wipe from front to back after using the bathroom; reversing the process can move bacteria to your vagina or urethra (yuck!).
- If you have to pee, don’t put it off. Also, make sure you fully finish peeing.
- Spermicidal foam and diaphragms-two types of birth control- are known to increase your risk of UTIs. Contact your healthcare provider about alternative forms of birth control (2).
- Finally, though many women too often ignore it, you should always pee after sex. Intercourse (as well as other sexual acts) can cause bacteria to enter your urinary tract. Do yourself a massive favor by flushing everything out.
Probiotics as prevention
Today, healthercare providers are seeing a lot more cases of people becoming resistant to antibiotics. So, they have been looking for other methods to prevent or treat UTIs (3). According to the Indian Journal of Urology, probiotics are a promising alternative. It says that probiotics can help replace good bacteria and help boost our immune systems (3). Probiotics are also widely used and are considered safe to take.
How BINTO can help
BINTO probiotics contain specific lactobacillus strains that can help prevent urinary tract infections, yeast infections, and some digestive issues. Our unique product will create healthy gut flora and support your emotional wellness, too!
*If you are experiencing symptoms of a urinary tract infection (burning sensation while peeing, pain or pressure in lower back or abdomen, the intense or frequent urge to pee with little results, cloudy, bloody, dark, or foul-smelling urine, tiredness, shakiness) please see a doctor to get tested. Fever or chills may even be a sign of a kidney infection (4).